I’ve tried a lot of sourdough muffin recipes over the past few weeks, but this one takes the cake (punny!). Let me introduce you to this awesome recipe which originally Wellsphere.
[ Makes: 10 | TIME: 30 minutes | COST: $4 ]
[ JOES' RATING: 4 / 5 | MY RATING: 4 / 5 ]
1 cup sourdough starter
½ cup wholemeal flour
½ cup organic white flour
½ cup choc chips
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup olive oil
1 free ranged egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
¼ teaspoon salt
- Cream the sugar and egg in a bowl until its colour changes.
- Add the starter, oil, vanilla and salt and stir gently til mixed.
- Add the flour and baking soda and mix gently.
- Spoon into cup cake liners until about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 190°C for 18 minutes.
- Be exact with your timing for this muffin. 20 minutes dries them out while 15 minutes leaves them raw. I use my portable convection oven so its easy to time and I take them out the second they are done.
- They have a distinct sourdough flavour and are not overly sweet. Having said that, Brittany did not like them for that reason (*grumble* teenagers *grumble*). If you want a sweeter muffin, you will need more sugar.
- Take care not to over work this batter or you will lose the lovely bubbles it gets from the soda!
- Using a wholemeal flour makes them quite heavy but I quite like that. If you are after a lighter fluffier muffin, opt for all white flour.
- They are sensational hot, or delicious cold. Ice cream would be brilliant with them, as would a sweeter icing.
- Diabetic Notes: Oh sweet, sweet temptations. One. Just one. And I wont tell your specialist if you wont tell mine.
- Ethical Note: Chocolate has become a huge ethical issue for me. Asian rainforests are being torn down at neck breaking speeds to plant palm plantations. The removal of the rainforests is threatening a large number of Asian wildlife, many of who have no other place to exist. The palm sugar goes into all manner of Asian cuisine but the majority of it goes into making chocolate. The list of major chocolate manufacturers who use palm sugar is far longer than those that don’t. Research the source and ingredients of your chocolate brands and chose wisely. The orangutans will thank you for it.
- Quiche Lorraine (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Blueberry Muffins (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Pancakes (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Flax Seed Sourdough Bread (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Starter (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Cinnamon Scrolls (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Baked Apple and Custard Tarts (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Savoury Zucchini Muffins – Gourmet Garden Blogoff (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Calzones – Gourmet Garden Blogoff (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Pizza Crusts (mizrhi.wordpress.com)