Traditionalists will have to just look away now because this recipe is far from traditional! Yesterday Brittany made those gorgeous strawberry and choc chip pikeletes and today I decided to enjoy the last of the strawberries as a sort of coolis syrup with my morning pancakes.
[ Serves: 2 | TIME: 30 MINUTES | COST: $2 ]
[ JOES' RATING: 4 / 5 | MY RATING: 4 / 5 ]
1 cup strawberries
½ cup sugar * (see notes below)
½ cup water
1 teaspoon lemon juice * (see notes below)
- In a pot, combine the strawberries, sugar and water and cook at a moderate heat until the syrup has thickened and the strawberries have melted. This may take about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, add a little lemon juice to freshen it up.
- Pour over pancakes and serve with ice cream, cream or with a splash of icing sugar.
- Traditionalists would have cooked this for a little longer, not used the lemon and would have strained it to remove the chunky fruit remains. Personally, I like those chunks for texture. Suit your own tastes on this one.
- Don’t cook this too long or too rapidly. The trick is a rolling simmer. Over cooking will result in a tasteless syrup while cooking it at a higher temperature will reduce it too quickly and not give the strawberries time to melt and to give over their delicious taste.
- Don’t over do the lemon juice or you will lose that strawberry flavour. A squeeze is literally enough – 1 teaspoon at most!
- This was served hot with my delicious sourdough pancakes.
- Diabetic Note: This would be far from diabetic friendly if I used ordinary sugar. Instead, I use a commercially produced sugar substitute. As a result, my blood sugar results are just fine.
- Ethical Note: I love using odd bods that would end up in waste. The sourdough starter and strawberries are classic examples. The strawberries were looking sad with age and it was now or never for them and I chose the now option!
- strawberry picking and strawberry pudding (plumsintheicebox.typepad.com)
- Strawberries with Cointreau and Cracked Pepper (strawberryginger.com)
- Recipe: Strawberry Bitters Pops (self.com)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Preserves (untracked.typepad.com)
- Ligia’s Kitchen: Strawberries and Cream (raoulpop.com)
- Rhubarb, Strawberry and Rose Cakes (blissfullyscrumptious.com)
- Strawberry Oven Pancakes (jillswell.com)
- Spring Table: Strawberry Shortcake For All (blisstree.com)
- Fresh Strawberry Sauce Recipe (faithfulprovisions.com)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Soup and/or Sorbet – Soupe ou Sorbet aux Fraises et Rhubarbe (frenchtwistedwoman.com)
- Cheers! Sparkling Strawberry Lemonade (eventsbysocialgraces.com)