This is a little bit of an experiment so I was weary of the results. To my astonishment, what results is nothing short of bananary goodness.
[ Makes: 12 | TIME: 30 MINUTES | COST: $2 ]
[ JOES’ RATING: 4 / 5 | MY RATING: 3.5 / 5 ]
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mash the bananas with a fork until smooth. Add the egg, stevia, agave and starter and mix gently.
- Add the wholemeal flour, baking soda and chia seeds and mix gently.
- Stir through the choc chips.
- Fill your muffin trays or liners until ¾ full.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 18 minutes.
- It is really important not to over work the batter. A gentle hand is needed for lighter, fluffier muffins.
- If you are after a more refined, fluffier texture, use white flour instead of wholemeal. Wholemeal gives you a much denser body.
- If you are not a convert to the joys of agave, just use ordinary honey.
- When baking, put a bowl of water in the oven so it is moist with steam. This will stop your muffins from drying out.
- There is a fine line with this recipe between deliciously moist to overcooked and dry. Test it with a knife tip or a skewer from 15 minutes and adjust cooking time to suit your oven. I found the 17 minute mark to be ideal for me.
- Originally, I used 2 tablespoons of chia bit it sort of over dominated the other flavours. In this case, more is not always best.
- The choc chip and banana combination was made of winning!
- Diabetic Note: Agave is the nectar of a cactus and has a lower glycemic index than other sweeteners such as refined sugar and honey. I use it when I can’t use stevia which had no effect on my blood glucose levels. Agave is also a strong choice for vegans who don’t eat honey. It is also 1.5 times sweeter than honey, so is used sparingly. Just as well, really, because it is expensive!
- Ethical Note: I used way over ripe bananas in this instead of throwing them away. YAY for reduced waste!
- Vegan Guava Muffin Pancakes (myveganvida.wordpress.com)
- Banana Chia Muffins (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Savoury Zucchini Muffins – Gourmet Garden Blogoff (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Raspberry & Lemon Wholemeal Muffins (pipandwillow.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Blueberry Muffins (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Muffin Basics (williams-sonoma.com)
- Healthy Chiquita Banana Bran Muffin Recipe (chiquitabananas.com)
- Sourdough Choc Chip Muffins (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Vegan Guava Muffin Pancakes (mjmarti11.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Pancakes (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Starter (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Basic Sourdough Bread (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Pizza Crusts (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Baked Apple and Custard Tarts (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Flax Seed Sourdough Bread (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Cinnamon Scrolls (mizrhi.wordpress.com)