My daughter Brittany loves to bake. She is often baking muffins and cakes in the kitchen and I would consider her *cough* to be a *cough* better baker than I am. The other day she was looking for something to do and I suggested making some pikeletes out of the left over sourdough starter for the day. She made two kinds of pikeletes – choc-chip and strawberry. Below are her instructions.
[ MAKES: 12 | TIME: 20 MINUTES | COST: $2 ]
[ Brittany’s RATING: 4 / 5 | MY RATING: 4 / 5 ]
- The butter needs to be melted so it can be incorporated into the batter easily.
- In a bowl, gently mix the starter, milk, agave, and butter.
- Add the salt and baking soda and mix gently until incorporated.
- Carefully stir the choc chips and or strawberries into the mixture.
- In a frying pan, bring a little oil to a moderate heat.
- Using a spoon, put one or two spoonfuls into the middle of the pan and allow to cook until golden brown. This will take 2 – 4 minutes.
- Turn the pikelete over and cook until golden brown. This will take 1 – 2 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold, with fruit, cream or chocolate sauce.
- You can substitute sugar for the agave and regular cows milk for the soy milk. I forgive you.
- If you want to try Brittany’s strawberry version, only add ¼ cup choc chips and add ¼ to one-third cup chopped strawberries to the batter.
- As with all muffins, cakes and pancake mixtures, mix gently. The more vigorous the stirring, the tougher the end product.
- Brittany made two batches of these (one of each) and we enjoyed them cold for morning and afternoon tea for several days. They remained soft, fresh and delicious. YAY for sourdough!
- Diabetic Note: One or two of the strawberry version for morning or afternoon tea will not break the carbohydrate budget. This will depend on size and density of the pikeletes.
- Ethical Note: We had strawberries in the fridge getting towards the end of their shelf life. By incorporating them into this recipe, we reduced potential wastage problems. YAY for us!
- Sourdough Choc Chip Muffins (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Pizza Crusts (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Pancakes (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Carrot Sourdough Muffins (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Blueberry Muffins (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Banana Muffins (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Cinnamon Scrolls (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Basic Sourdough Bread (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Sourdough Chapatis (Flat Bread) (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Flax Seed Sourdough Bread (mizrhi.wordpress.com)
- Skinny bikkies of the choc chip variety (chilloutchicken.wordpress.com)
- Family Favourite Chewy Choc-chip cookies (kiwigirlskiwiblog.wordpress.com)
- Choc-Oat-Let Chip Cookies (missiwenz.wordpress.com)
- Amish cookie recipe (melissagoodsell.typepad.com)