20 years ago, one of my favourite snack foods was freshly roasted nuts and seeds on hot crusty bread with melted butter. I had totally forgotten about it in recent times (although I do use nuts and seeds frequently). Just out of the blue, I had a flash back and WHAM! Lunch is served.
[ Serves: 4 | TIME: 15 MINUTES | COST: $2 ]
[ MY RATING: 5 / 5 ]
- Chop your nuts to around the same size as your largest seed.
- Place the seeds and nuts into a hot, dry frying pan and toast until fragrant, stirring and moving seeds frequently to stop them from scorching.
- It’s vital that you keep the seeds moving every few minutes to avoid scorching them. Once they are burnt (even in the slightest) they become bitter and will need to be discarded.
- You can use ANY seeds and nuts here. I just used what I had in the cupboards.
- Diabetic Note: This meal is actually quite a mixed bag. Seeds and nuts quite high in poly and mono saturated fats and because of this fat content, nut intake needs to be limited. On the other hand, there are carbohydrates in the bread, so again, be aware of your limits. Having said that, seeds and nuts are a rich sources of protein and all manner of vitamins and minerals and should be included in a balanced diet. Moderation, dear friends.
- Ethical Note: The average diet of the Western society contains heavy meats in over indulgent quantities, high levels of trans fats, high levels of salt, dangerous levels of sugar and genetically modified material. While the jury is still out on some issues such as genetically modified crops, there is heaps of evidence to show our dietary habits are having disastrous consequences on our health. While this meal seems nasty on the surface, it is a smart health choice when compared to any of the forenamed components and is actually quite friendly for the environment. Seeds and nuts are generally easier to grow that other staple crops, have lower land requirements and as most are weed species, have low water needs. Smarter for you, smarter for the environment.
- The Health Benefits of Sunflower Seeds (refreshingnews99.blogspot.com)
- Basic Sourdough Bread (mizrhi.wordpress.com)