I’ve been craving a smooth tomato sauce with some bite for a while now. I have been tossing around some ideas until this one just sort of formed one afternoon for no particular reason. Its so easy that I’m embarrassed to post it, but nevertheless, here it is because it deserves to be shared!
Tomato and Capsicum Sauce
[ SERVES: 4 | TIME: 60 MINUTES | COST: $2-3 ]
[ JOES RATING: 4 / 5 | MY RATING: 5 / 5 | BRITTANYS RATING: 4 / 5 ]
- In a saucepan, fry off the onion in a little olive oil until caramelised. Add the garlic and stir until cooked.
- Add the capsicum and tomatoes and allow to stew over a medium heat for several minutes. Add chilli, salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to stew until the sauce has reduced and the capsicum has started to break down ¹.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before puréeing in a blender.
- May be served immediately hot or stored in the fridge for several days.
- Note 1: If you stew it long enough over a low enough heat the capsicum will break down and release more flavour. It will also give the chilli time to incorporate well into the dish.
- Note 2: For a silky sauce, push the sauce through a drum strainer. Although I blended it for several minutes, it was still quite textured.
- I loved this very simple sauce. It was absolutely delicious without being over bearing. Id happily eat this forever as my new pasta sauce base. I can just imagine it drizzled over steamed vegetables…
- Diabetic Note: I didn’t use much oil in this dish at all so its a perfect sauce for all diabetics. Almost no carbohydrates or fats in this dish means you can have a little more pasta, right?
- Ethical Note: YAY! I have found the perfect sauce! This means I am no longer dependant on beef replacement products for certain pasta sauces. Healthier for me and the environment. I also have to admit that the capsicum I used was well past its peak so reduced landfill to boot!
- Tomato, capsicum and potato soup (mrssams.wordpress.com)
- Stuffed tomatoes and capsicums (dessmannfamilyrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Ultimate tomato pasta sauce recipe (telegraph.co.uk)
- Tomato Sauce (vegease.wordpress.com)