Hello Mr. Zebra
Can I have your sweater?
Cause it’s cold, cold, cold
In my hole, hole, hole.
Tori Amos – Mr Zebra
Its cold. So very cold. My fingers aren’t even working properly and I’m typing with mittens on! (No comments on not knowing cold from you Alaskans!) You know what this calls for, right? Yup, Porridge!
[ SERVES: 3 | TIME: 15 MINUTES | COST: $2 ]
[ JOES RATING: 4 / 5 | MY RATING: 4 / 5 | BRITTANYS RATING: 4 / 5 ]
1 green apple
1 cup oat flakes
3 cups water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
brown sugar or agave to taste
- Peel and core the apple. Cut into small bite size pieces. Place the apple in a small pot and bring to the boil with enough water to cover the apples. Stew until soft – about 5 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, oats and water to the boil. Stir over a moderate heat until the oats are tender. This may take 5 minutes. Add a little more water if all the water has been absorbed but the oat flakes are still tough.
- Remove from heat and serve in a bowl with soy milk and sugar to taste.
- Good grief, Charlie Brown. Even Brittany enjoyed this one! Its warm, filling and nutritious. Definitely a crowd pleaser during winter.
- I often add sultanas to the mix and sometimes cranberries. It depends on what is in the cupboard. Toasted nuts sprinkled over the top at serving are a real treat!
- Diabetic Note: Oats are Low GI so are much better for you than wheat based cereals and breads. As much as I hate to admit it, porridge is a much sounder diabetic option than sourdough bread.
- Ethical Note: Oats are a sustainable crop often undervalued in agriculture. According to the North American Millers Association, “Oats are especially valuable in environmentally sustainable crop rotation systems, helping to ensure sound cropping and soil conservation practices.”
- Good & Good For You: Summer Porridge aka Yogurt Oats (afridgefulloffood.typepad.com)
- Zingy porridge (cheapeasydelicious.wordpress.com)